Post Reply  Post Thread 
NEW --Renewable Resources Group Project No. R2010-00808-(5) / Conditional Use Permit
witchie-poo
Unregistered

NEW --Renewable Resources Group Project No. R2010-00808-(5) / Conditional Use Permit
Project No. R2010-00808-(5) / Conditional Use Permit 201000071 / Envronmental…
Case Description / Summary
WEB Page at Regional Planning
EIR Kern County Flooding and dranage study
biological study

Full Case Title: Project No. R2010-00808-(5) / Conditional Use Permit 201000071 / Environmental Assessment 201000032 / Antelope Valley Solar
Case Downloads

* Final Environmental Impact Report (PDF)
* Statement of Overriding Considerations (PDF)
* Findings of Fact (PDF)
* Mitigation Monitoring Program (PDF)
* Approval Package (PDF)
* October 19, 2011 Regional Planning Commission Public Hearing
o Addendum to FEIR (PDF)
o Staff Report (PDF)
o Revised Draft Conditions (PDF)
o Revised Draft Findings (PDF)
o Fire Department Conditions (PDF)
* October 12, 2011 Regional Planning Commission Public Hearing
o Public Works Conditions (PDF)
o Hearing Notice (PDF)
* September 21, 2011 Regional Planning Commission Public Hearing
o RPC Package (PDF)
o Staff Memo to the RPC dated September 15, 2011 (PDF)
o Audubon Society Letter (PDF)
o Sierra Club Letter (PDF)
* August 31, 2011 Regional Planning Commission Public Hearing
o Staff Memo to the RPC dated August 25, 2011 (PDF)
o Hearing Notice (PDF)
o Factual (PDF)
29-07-2011 10:38 AM
Quote this message in a reply
witchie-poo
Unregistered

Notice of hearing--Renewable Resources Group Project No. R2010-00808-(5)
Renewable Resources Group Project No. R2010-00808-(5)
NOTICE OF HEARING

FACTUAL

Dept of Regional Planning Notice of hearing for solar projects

29-07-2011 10:57 AM
DJefferies
Unregistered

RE: NEW --Renewable Resources Group Project No. R2010-00808-(5) / Conditional Use Permit
----- Original Message -----
To: Curzi, Anthony
Cc: pat C; nhickling@lacbos.org ; thua@planning.lacounty.gov
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: Antelope Valley Solar Project (Kern/L.A. County)

Mr. Curzi:

It is my understanding that the L.A.County Planning Commission has promoted the concept that when a renewable energy company plans a project they should involve those persons "most likely impacted by the proposed project".

Prior to receiving their permits and to this day, the promoters of "Antelope Valley Solar Project (Kern/L.A.County) have made absolutely no effort to communicate with the residents of Fairmont or the Fairmont Town Council..

The article in the A.V. Press, March 13, 2012, describes the project as being a 650 megawatt project. Of that amount, 188 megawatts will be sited in L.A.County. Specifically, the site is north of State Highway 138. It is between 185th Street West and 150th Street West. This location is within the jurisdiction of the Fairmont Town Council.(F.T.C.)

My questions? Have "hard copies" of all E.I.R's and C.U.P. applications been provided to the F.T.C.? Have the promoters of this project made any presentations to Fairmont residents? I am a Fairmont resident. I have heard little or nothing about this project prior to the newspaper article. Have the promoters of this project received copies of the Fairmont Community Standards that are currently under review by the Planning Commission?

Further, has this project been reviewed by the team working on the Town and Country Plan?

I shall be providing a copy of this letter to Mr. Pat C, President of the Fairmont Town Council.

I would appreciate a complete, written response to this inquiry.

Sincerely,

David K. Jefferies, Esq.
Fairmont Resident
21-03-2012 10:52 AM
Pee Wee Offline

Rt_arrow Renewable Resources Group ) --No signs found on LA County side
No signs found on LA County side

I drove 140th st from Ave "D" to Ave "A" then west to 170th st then South on 170th st and found NO "Required Regional Planning" signs that notify the general public of an impeding project.

In fact I as a resident of the west valley have not been aware of any information on this "massive" Solar Project. These people must be taking a page out of Solar One's play book.
21-03-2012 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fairmont TC Offline

angry.gif Renewable Resources Group --Letter to Anthony Curzi
To: DRP Anthony Curz
Cc: DRP--Adam Thurtell ; David Jefferies ; David Jefferies office ; Norm Hickling
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:47 AM
Subject: Fw: Antelope Valley Solar Project (Kern/L.A. County)

Dear Mr. Anthony Curzi:
The below E-mail has been received by the Fairmont Town Council (FTC) from one of it's residents. The E-Mail raises legitimate concerns about the communication of the " Antelope Valley Solar Project (Kern/L.A.County)" project to the residents of Fairmont area.I have been made aware that your agency has notified FAVOS, Concerned Citizens of Western Antelope Valley and other Poppy Preserve related Environmental individuals, that don't reside in the affected area and by no means represent the residents in Fairmont Town Council area, but the residents and the Fairmont Town Council seems to be devoid of any notices, CUP's, EIR reports, Hard Copies, communications and any proceedings that are taking place relating to this project which sits "Smack Dab" in the middle of our area.

I personally resent the deliberate effort to pacify the extremist environmentalists and to "Hell" with the people that reside in the area, myself included. Your web site is totally impossible to navigate unless the exact phrase is used and does not give much information that I can find. (I am a computer "Geek" and run several web sites so don't say I don't know what I am doing)

"The article in the A.V. Press, March 13, 2012, describes the project as being a 650 megawatt project. Of that amount, 188 megawatts will be sited in L.A.County. Specifically, the site is north of State Highway 138. It is between 185th Street West and 150th Street West. This location is within the jurisdiction of the Fairmont Town Council.(F.T.C.)"

Approximately one third of this project is in the FTC area and we at the Fairmont Town council feel a lack of communication. A Call to Thomas E Eisenhauer March 13, 2012 resulted in the following information from him:

* He says he was at our meeting in may 2011 just before the draft EIR was circulating and in August when they were going before regional planning.
* When the draft EIR was circulating he came back to the Town Council in May 2011 and announced that the draft EIR was circulating and here is the information if you want to comment on it.
I specifically remember Mr. Eisenhauer requesting, to then Pres. Dave Kerr, to allow him to skip a presentation because he was late to the Rosamond Town Council Meeting and did not give a presentation and left papers for the public. (video)

* He made a presentation to us at the January 20 2011 meeting before the draft EIR even circulated.
Yes he did but left no project package.(video)

*August 2011 he came back to the Town Council before the project went before the Regional Planning Commission
Mr. Eisenhauer spoke in public comment described his project and said "their EIR will be certified by Kern County Planning and Their EIR will be submitted to LA County Planning Commission and he had to get to Rosamond meeting (meeting minutes)

no other communication has been received since.

This project was concentrating their efforts in the Kern County area and viewing the Fairmont area as a secondary problem and not given the attention that was needed to inform our residents. Element power made many more presentations than these people, even AVSR1 is making an effort to "Maya Copa" their misgivings. It is not to late to come up with some hard copies of the project documents and do a quick review at one of our meetings in public comment.

Please send me the reference numbers of the CUP so I can reference them on your site.

Pat C
Pres. Fairmont Town Council
21-03-2012 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
calif doberman
Unregistered

angry.gif RE: NEW --Renewable Resources Group Project ---Never any Communication
Date: March 20, 2012 5907 PM PDT
To: David Jefferies
Subject: Never any Communication

David: I hope read this, My name is Mary Enos, we own home on 40 acres @ 190th st. West & Gaskell Rd. for 9 years. I'm a Real Estate Broker also for 29 years. We have never gotten any notice from anyone, Nov. 2010 we received letter from a Real Estate Company soliciting leasing our land for chump change, that was the first & last letter about Solar. Now from any window in my home I can see flashing lights, hear 18 wheelers & trespassing Rude Surveyor's who have came in my electric security gate to dig, Edison employ's them & just as bad. Now MORE by my house! This really stinks & No notification ever given. I think the letters sent to home owners were not honest & I questioned the Real Estate Co. (Have file) who they represented & answer was me. No way they had my interest protected. Possible loop hole? Please tell me if I can be of help. I need help. Thank you, Mary Enos.
=
22-03-2012 07:01 PM
DJefferies
Unregistered

RE: NEW --Renewable Resources -- Antelope Valley Solar Project - Outreach and Notific
Cc: pat C; Norm Hickling ; Hua, Thuy ; Tae, Susan
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:50 PM
Subject: Antelope Valley Solar Project - Outreach and Notification

AVS Outreach_20111019.pdf

Dear Mr. Jefferies,

Thank you for your patience while I looked into this matter.

The Department of Regional Planning (Department) is committed to ensuring that residents and local stakeholders are a key part of the planning process, including the development of renewable energy facilities.

The Antelope Valley Solar Project by Renewable Resources Group (RRG) was a unique case in that the project spanned two counties. As you mentioned, approximately 188 megawatts (MW) and 1,238 acres of this project are located in Los Angeles County. Total project size amounts to 650 MW and 5,175 acres. For purposes of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Kern County was the lead agency and Los Angeles County was a responsible agency.

In addition to required noticing, including mailed notices, newspaper advertisement and project site posting, community outreach through presentations to various organizations and Town Councils including Fairmont Town Council (FTC), was conducted by RRG.

Hard copies of the EIR and CUP application materials were not made directly available to the FTC; our procedures however call for the Department to make hard copies available at the nearest library, which was done. In addition, in April of 2011, RRG mailed a copy of the Draft EIR on DVD to FTC. The Fairmont Community Standards you reference is currently not under consideration by the Planning Commission and as not yet adopted by the County did not apply to this project. Lastly, the team working on the Town and Country Plan is aware of this project, but they did not process the case as that was the responsibility of the Zoning Permits Section.

I have also attached for your information and reference, a copy of a more detailed public outreach summary that was prepared by the applicant.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Anthony Curzi
Planner
Zoning Permits North Section
Department of Regional Planning
320 W. Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
http://planning.lacounty.gov
213-974-6443
22-03-2012 07:21 PM
resident
Unregistered

RE: Responce to Mr Curzi on Renewable Resources out reach
To: Anthony Curzi
Planner
Zoning Permits North Section
Department of Regional Planning
320 W. Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
http://planning.lacounty.gov
213-974-6443

In response to your E-mail

Cc: Norm Hickling ; Hua, Thuy ; Tae, Susan
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:50 PM
Subject: Antelope Valley Solar Project - Outreach and Notification

Mr Curzi I feel that we are in a "deje vue" again, here's snippets of a letter that was sent to Anthony Thurtel 1/25/2011 on the NRG project. Rather than re writing the letter over again I am letting you read the previous letters snippets that still apply to the DRP's attitude on informing the public out here. Please pay attention so I don't have to write the letter again.

********************************************************************************​*******************

(quoted from a letter a year ago)
You live in the cess pool called Los Angeles. I don't and do not desire to get up at 4:00 in the morning to drive to temple St (yes I have parked there many times) and be available at 9:00 for a hearing. I spent a better part of my life commuting to the downtown during the construction of the Metro Rail and do not desire to do it again. Your office feels that people in the far flung area of Los Angeles should come to the center of town, why don't you come out into the clean country and breath some less polluted air in Lancaster. It's a lot easier to move 3 people in the same car than burn gas for 15 to 20 cars (very wasteful)(makes money for parking)

I really disagree with your office placing materials at Rosamond Library for review. This is as far to go to than Lancaster Library. Nonetheless to say its in another county not Los Angeles county, where the Alpine Solar Project is placed. There is no relation for Kern County to handle Los Angeles County paper unless somebody wants to make it harder to find.

I work intimately with the Antelope Acres Town Council, Fairmont Town Council, 3 Corners Town Council, Quartz Hill Town Council and with the Regional Town Council and have chastised your Bosses and also patted them on the back on occasion. I also attend the "Illegal Dumping Task Force" sponsored by Mike Antonovich and on occasion come up with some ideas that Norm Hickling likes.

Basically I am trying to tell you not to sell us "rock kicking, bib-overall Podunk farmers" short on common sense or intelligence. There are a lot of high powered people that live here and are not satisfied with your performance.
(end quote)

Quoted from a year ago)
Return letter from Adam Thurtell

Distance-wise, the Rosamond Library is 25 miles from the project site and Quartz Hill is 27 miles. We try to select the most convenient library, and so we choose the closest library by distance, regardless of county. Rosamond Library was the location of the documents for the original hearing, without complaint. If you need to make arrangements to view or copy the file, let me know.

I wonder how far you have to go to get to a Library

Return letter to Adam Thurtell.
Your office has City mentality and doesn't understand the needs or desires of the rural area. Its just like your rep. one day in the Regional town council, she stated that we are rural and farming is extinct. She showed us the map and a lot of it became hot debate in the proceedings. Your office never comes out here unless they come with the NAT team and then a lot of the time it becomes a debate, which the DRP will not go to court. I have yet to have had a reasonable experience with your office. Many times DRP monopolizes the Regional Town Council meetings with what they want and do not budge on any subject or "we will take it into advisement".

As far as the library goes, none of the 76 people that I e-mailed were aware that Rosamond Library had the documents and to a man they asked why Rosamond. Rosamond library is 25 miles from the project site as the crow flies not as the model T drives. This possibly is why there were no complaints about the location, they weren't aware of the location because they don't go there.

Enough of this CYA garbage, use your common sense, would you go to a library out of the way for something you are not aware of???? The only reason they know now is I told them and they still can't understand why it's still there.

(quote)Distance-wise, the Rosamond Library is 25 miles from the project site and Quartz Hill is 27 miles. We try to select the most convenient library, and so we choose the closest library by distance, regardless of county. Rosamond Library was the location of the documents for the original hearing, without complaint. If you need to make arrangements to view or copy the file, let me know.(end quote)

Now I need not remind you that there are no Newspapers in this end of Antelope Valley. The AV Press refuses to deliver out here. So as you claim to advertise in the local papers it is in vain because we don’t get them.

Your out reach statements seem correct the January meeting is located at Fairmont Town Council site
The Antelope Acres video can be viewed at The Fairmont Town Council site

(quote)Outreach by Project Proponents – before DEIR circulation RRG presented the project - and answered questions - at well-attended public meetings held by following civic organizations:

Antelope Acres Town Council (October 2010)
Rosamond Municipal Advisory Council (November 2010)
Rosamond Community Services District (December 2010)
Fairmont Town Council (January 2011)
Three Points / Liebre Mountain Town Council (March 2011) (end quote)

I beg to differ with you. Yes one of us got a DVD but we were promised a Hard copy so we could make it available to our residents so they didn't have to drive 25 miles at $4.40 a gallon for gas.

____________________________-

No, as far as I can discern we did not get any information necessary to comment on the DEIR (deadline, contact information and the link to the DEIR on the Kern County Planning Department website.

(quote)Outreach by Project Proponents – during DEIR Circulation When the Draft EIR was released (April 2011), RRG worked to ensure the above organizations were aware of it and of their opportunity to comment. RRG emailed them with information necessary to comment on the DEIR (deadline, contact information and the link to the DEIR on the Kern County Planning Department website) and offered to answer any questions and provide any further information(end quote)

(quote) During the DEIR public comment period, RRG personally attended the public meetings of the organizations who wished it: Antelope Acres Town Council (May 2011), Fairmont Town Council (May 2011), and Rosamond Municipal Advisory Council (May 2011). At those meetings, RRG announced the public comment period and provided information on how to review and comment on the project’s DEIR.(end quote)
I am sure that Norm Hickling didn't want a troop of Hillbilly Hicks tromping into his office to look at a bunch of documents that could have been placed in the Weevil market along with the "Element Power docs", Nextera docs", "NRG docs" and the AVSR1 docs.

(quote) Additionally, RRG took two printed copies of the DEIR to Supervisor Antonovich's Antelope Valley office, so that they could make one available at that office and could arrange with the Lancaster Public Library for the second copy to be available to the public there.(end quote)

Seems to me that you pay more attention to people that don't live in the area, than you do for the ones that do live in the impact zone. Why didn't you or them have discussions with our local residents?

I wish to inform you that the groups like "FAVOS", "Concerned Citizens of the west Antelope Valley", "Prima" and others don't live in the CQLA area much less in the western Valley. ( I have a list of members and only one lives in Antelope Acres the rest reside in the lower 48.

(quote) Outreach by Project Proponents – Additional

RRG reached out to and held discussions with Audubon California, Sierra Club, the California Department of Fish and Game, and several local landowners in response to their comments on the NOP and DEIR. .(end quote)

As far as the signs they may have posted signs but as I use Ave "A" to go to town I have not seen any and anybody I talk to doesn't remember seeing any, By all means this doesn't mean that they weren’t there , we didn't see them.

(quote) Outreach by Project Proponents – before public hearing on CUP RRG posted signs at the site with notification of the public hearing. RRG directly notified the following Town Councils and offered to meet with them:(end quote)

I think this was covered above, but we have a 6 to 7 month lag in communication of nothing.

Antelope Acres Town Council
Fairmont Town Council
Oso Town Council
Three Points / Liebre Mountain Town Counci
l

From the minutes of the Aug 2011 meeting.
They made a quick talk and left for a Rosamond meeting which is the same time and day as FTC.

b. Mr. Tom Eisenhower of Renewable Resources Group:
space • Proposed project is at 1 70th Street West. It is 75 % in Kern County and 25% in L.A. County.
space • Mostly it is located between 160th Street West and 130tn Street West.
space • Their E.L R. will be certified by Kern County Planning.
space • Their E.L R.is to be submitted to L.A. County Planning Commission.
space • Construction will take up to 3 years.
space • They will plan to hire local workers

In August 2011, RRG attended the Fairmont Town Council community meeting, where RRG announced the upcoming hearing and delivered information about the how the public could comment on the project before or at the hearing.

From OSO Town Council minutes for September 2011

Tom Eisenhauer of Renewable Resources Group described their proposed project.
Antelope Valley Solar will straddle the Los Angeles/Kern County Line around 170th Street West. The project will occupy about 4,000 acres - 75% in Kern County and 25% in Los Angeles County, adjacent to the Whirlwind Substation at Holiday Avenue. The project is located on private property which has been previously disturbed by farming.
Scheduled to begin construction sometime in 2013 with construction lasting about 36 months, RRG expects to hire about 650 people for construction jobs.

Less than 7 minutes of talk time

In September 2011, RRG presented the project – and answered questions and solicited feedback – at a well-attended public meeting of the Oso Town Council. .(end quote)

So as you can see that I too can compile a list of things that I claim are correct, and I can back them up with videos and documents. Can you?

Author

larry T edited 27-03-2012 10:25 AM this post because:

e-mail was sent to avhidesert and posted by staff

27-03-2012 10:22 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MidAmerican Solar newsletter to project stakeholders june 2014 admin-3 0 1,396 21-07-2014 07:35 PM
Last Post: admin-3
  MidAmerican Solar is pleased to provide this newsletter to project stakeholders. larry T 0 1,529 29-01-2014 12:49 PM
Last Post: larry T
  MidAmerican Solar – is pleased to provide this newsletter to project stakeholders mid-America 0 1,847 19-07-2013 11:38 AM
Last Post: mid-America
  Thousands of job seekers waited in line Saturday at the Antelope Valley Solar Project Smiley 0 3,289 24-02-2013 09:36 AM
Last Post: Smiley
angry.gif Mid America/Sun Power Solar Project 5000acres Reg Planning DOC larry T 0 2,381 10-01-2013 11:06 AM
book Warren Buffet buys into Renewable Resources solars i-spy 3 7,644 04-01-2013 11:17 AM
Last Post: i-spy
Exclamation Renewable resources looking for a change of CUP Marta 1 3,407 30-12-2012 06:21 PM
Last Post: Smiley
  Map of project for Mid America larry T 1 3,146 27-11-2012 11:44 AM
book Renewable Resources Gets Final EIR for 650 MW SunPower Solar Plant Herman K. Trabish 0 3,679 04-04-2012 12:03 PM
Last Post: Herman K. Trabish
Exclamation may 19 2011 renewable Resources Wendy 0 1,918 25-03-2012 05:43 PM
Last Post: Wendy

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread |